Wednesday 21 February 2018

21.02.18

Malcolm Lowry Dérive: In 1940 the Lowry's lived next door to this fine building which even then may have been a suite of apartments. The site of their former residence at 1236 West 11th Ave was replaced by this three story block:


In the Smith's home, "... he and Margerie found more comfortable and pleasant lodgings." Here he was able to finish the final draft of Under the Volcano. Later in the year the couple rented a shack near Dollarton for the period of one month. Peace and tranquility ensued as the infernal bitumen flares danced in the distance.


This shack overlooks the Dollarton mudflats. Not of the Lowry recluse sequence but indicative.


"My old life of the night, how far away that seemed now, my life in which my only stars were neon lights! I must have stumbled into a thousand alcoholic dawns, but drunk in the rumble seat I passed them by... Never had I really looked at a sunrise till now."
The Forest Path to the Spring

No comments: